As someone who personally has Rosacea, I know first hand just how frustrating this skin condition can be. Whilst most conventional rosacea treatments include the use of oral and topical antibiotics or more invasive procedures such as dermabrasion, over the years I’ve learned of some gentler, natural and holistic remedies that go a long way in keeping this fiery skin condition at bay.
If you feel one minute your skin is calm and then the next red and inflamed, almost instantaneously, I can relate.
Here are my top 4 tips for keeping Rosacea at bay:
1. KNOW YOUR FOOD TRIGGERS
- Getting to know what’s triggering your Rosacea and which foods to avoid is a great start. My food triggers include gluten, sugar, wine, spicy foods, processed foods and dairy (I’m vegan now, so dairy is no longer an issue).
- If you’re not sure what foods are triggering your Rosacea, consider getting a food intolerance/allergy test and/or going on an elimination diet to determine what could be setting off your skin inflammation.
- Once you remove certain foods, try replacing them with health-promoting ones, foods with good fats (such as avocado, nuts, seeds and olive oil), high-fibre foods (try to avoid anything with gluten), veggies (especially green veggies) turmeric and ginger.
- Cleaning up your diet and gut with a pure diet high in fiber, low in sugar and healthy fats reduces inflammation throughout the whole body, so it’s a good idea to regularly take a probiotic which will support good gut bacteria.
2. STRESS + MINDFULNESS
- Stress is a big trigger for inflammation in the body and can wreak havoc on the hormones and skin.
- By sticking to a daily moment of mindfulness I feel calmer and more relaxed. Sometimes this is a short meditation, some mindful breathing, a jog or even a slow walk with the dogs. I also enjoy a cup of soothing herbal tea and a good book for some down time.
- The idea is to break the ‘flight or fight’ response of the body and bring it back to Homeostasis. Practiced daily, even for just 10-20 minutes ideally first thing in the morning, greatly reduces the stress response and sets you up for your day on the right note. The important thing is to look for the things that really help bring you a calm mind and stick to practicing it daily.
3. SOOTHE WITH POWERFUL PLANT OILS
- I found cold windy weather, indoor heating and aircon would really irritate my skin and living in the wild climate of the Blue Mountains didn’t help.
- Whilst studying a Bachelor of Health Science (Naturopathy), I learned that Calendula, St Johns Wort, Chamomile and Chickweed are all perfect for soothing dry, inflamed, red or itchy skin. So I went to work on formulating my Award Winning Calendula and Chickweed Cream to help soothe my own Rosacea inflamed skin. Soon enough I was sharing it with friends and family, to find they, like myself, were benefiting from its soothing properties.
- I also discovered that rose-hip seed oil, jojoba oil, calendula oil and sunflower seed oil are highly nutrient dense, great for hydration and offer soothing anti-inflammatory properties. I enrolled in an Advanced Certificate in Cosmetic Chemistry and a Diploma in Natural Skincare and from there developed the multi award-winning Nourish and Repair Face Oil especially for sensitive and Rosacea-prone skin. This face oil has since received 7 Awards at the International Beauty Shortlist and Organic Beauty Awards – it’s that good!
4. AVOID HAIR AND SKIN PRODUCTS WITH IRRITATING CHEMICALS
- I am very wary of applying any skincare products loaded with preservatives or irritants such as acidic exfoliating gel and foaming cleansers, and any products with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These chemicals dry out the skin and strip the skin of it’s natural oils, leaving it feeling inflamed and irritated.
- For me personally and many others with Rosacea, haircare that contains SLS’s are a big no-no as it can drip on the face and cause a flare up. Last year we added NueBar Hair and body bars to our business portfolio and I love that I now get to make these beautiful Naturopath formulated bars in our laboratory, in the Blue Mountains. As an SLS-free, sulphate-free, paraben-free and soap-free product, they are perfect for sensitive skin.
- I found foaming facial cleansers also caused my skin to flare up, this is when I formulated the Paudha Healing Clean and Balance Cleansing Oil. It is designed to support the natural oils in my skin whilst simultaneously removing and dissolving impurities and dirt, which feels much gentler and even soothes my sensitive skin.
Remember, nourishing your skin takes a holistic approach. Whilst we are a skin and hair care business, we greatly believe that looking after your body, mind and soul will not only support your physical and mental wellbeing, but will also leave you with beautiful glowing skin, naturally.
‘I live in a warm climate & received the following Paudha products as a gift: Clean & Balance Cleansing Oil, Nourish & Repair Face Oil, Calendula & Chickweed Cream along with the beautiful NueBar shampoo, conditioner & NueBar body soaps.
My skin, which has struggled with painful, disfiguring rosacea for a few years now, feels soft & hydrated. The redness & cysts have resolved & I am getting compliments galore, often from people who never knew I had rosacea. I’m not just leaving a review, I’m saying THANK YOU xxx’ ~ Kelly, verified customer