The blessings of Summer’s warm arrival gives us plenty to enjoy — lazy beach days, outdoor soirees and lots of opportunities to play in nature. Whilst we’re big believers in vitamin D and the positive effects of a moderate dose of sun exposure, those blaring, bright rays and an increase in temperature can often cause more damage than good when it comes to your skin. Excess sweating on the humid days can irritate and dehydrate the skin. All in all, too much ‘fun in the sun’ can have the effects of pigmentation, wrinkles, sagging, discolouration, dryness and dullness on your complexion… the list goes on.
So, with this in mind, we have collated a few ideas on how to consciously and easily support and protect your skin from the intense summer rays and humidity.
IT’S ALL ABOUT INNER WELLBEING
- A diet rich in antioxidants can help defend the skin against the harmful effects of UV radiation, according to some studies.
- Potent sun-fighting foods include those rich in vitamins C and E such as dark leafy greens, kiwi, citrus fruits, watermelons, strawberries, blueberries, avocados, sweet potato and almonds.
- Fruits and vegetables that are high in carotenoids and free-radical neutralisers are also known to help such as carrots, tomatoes, and green tea.
- Two litres of filtered water each day will further support skin hydration and cellular rejuvenation.
FEED YOUR SKIN
- Exfoliating at least twice a week supports healthy skin regeneration.
- Choosing the right kind of topical skincare formulas can make an enormous difference during summer.
- When we say our deeply hydrating Calendula and Chickweed Cream is a source of essential nutrition, we mean it. Packed with a healing combination of Chickweed and Calendula with added Chamomile and St John’s Wort to defend against free radicals, accelerate the healing of sunburns, inflammation, and scarring and supercharge the skin with essential antioxidants. Perfect to apply a few times a day for a soothing, calming effect (especially after a day at the beach!).
- Another surefire warm weather skin saviour is our multi-tasker, Nourishing Body & Hair Oil. A high-potency boost, it helps deeply nourish the skin and adds shine to dull hair. A blend of vitamin-rich Apricot, Argan, Camellia and Sweet Almond oils promotes hydration and lipid production while leaving skin silky-smooth. Invigorating Tangerine and Geranium essential oil that’s perfect for improving circulation, relieving stress and repairing skin damage. Think of this as a daily supplement for the skin and hair, and use it all over your body, especially after a warm summers day.
- Finally, cleansing in the summer season is paramount. Humidity and sweating causes the pores to open up, making them prone to gathering dirt, oil and allergens, leading to skin breakouts, eczema and other skin allergies. The Paudha Clean and Balance Oil has been formulated to not only cleanse, but simultaneously moisturises your skin and helps balance oil production, making it the perfect post sun cleanser.
KEEP YOUR COOL
- Keep your face and body feeling cool and refreshed throughout the day with our skin-quenching Hydrating Botanical Mist. Fortified with a soothing and hydrating, botanical blend of infused waters, featuring Chamomile, Rose and Lavender, this dreamy mist works to rehydrate and nourish your skin cells.
- Perfect as a pick-me-up for stress relief with its aromatherapeutic qualities for extra support during yoga or meditation, post workout at the gym or even whilst you are at work.
- Take your fresh-face routine one step further. Pop our Rose Quartz Face Roller in the fridge and use it after a long day in the sun to reduce puffiness, cool skin and give skin that beautiful youthful glow.
- A super strength deodorant that offers the benefits of natural ingredients and smart odour protection will help manage skin irritation from excess sweating in ‘those’ challenging areas. Enter our Deodorant range, Natural Deodorant Paste and for the sensitive types Bicarb Free – Natural Deodorant Paste. This nourishing formula is simple and effective, without the harmful chemicals or aluminium found in commercial deodorants, keeping you feeling fresh all day long. The arrowroot works to absorb moisture, while the sodium bicarbonate neutralises odour.
- Simply rub a teensy bit of paste between clean fingertips and massage gently into your underarm area for all day protection.
STAY SUN SMART
- Obviously—and most importantly—we encourage the use of a daily sunscreen, applied every two hours if you’re spending time outdoors. It’s the most effective way to protect yourself against the sun’s harmful rays.
- Hat and sun~conscious clothing goes a long way to not only protect you from the sun, but wick away any moisture which may irritate your skin.